What is Preventive Pet Care?
Pets are kept, for pleasure, company and for protection. So, the approach put in place for pet care shows the value one places on their pets.
Preventive pet care includes measures put in place to stop diseases from occurring and also to minimize the rate of occurrence of pet diseases.
Factors involved in Preventive pet care
- The major step to preventive pet care is the annual physical exam, where diagnosis such as heartworm testing, FELV/FIV testing, and fecal examinations is done. When diagnoses are done, the right medications are administered, routine check-ups and other recommendation is also provided.
- Vaccinations program is another important preventive pet care method. Though proper hygiene for pets is the foremost method of preventive pet care, some diseases are inevitable; this is why vaccinations are important. Vaccinations aid the system to fight off disease-causing organisms and keep the pet healthy.
Others methods for preventive pet care include:
- parasite testing and treatment
- dental care
- Identification e.g., microchips
- Nutritional counseling; what your pet eats goes a long way to determine its state of health.
- Routine vet visits: this is important as it helps treats reoccurring disease and rules out the threat of another disease.
Benefits of Preventive Pet Care
‘’It is cheaper to prevent a disease than to actually treat one’’ this is one of the many benefits of preventive pet care. One not only saves money and time but also
- Diagnoses a disease in its early stage and it is usually easier to treat in those stages
- Provides the quality of life one wishes to give to his pet.